We have all had that experience of taking too much of an edible and feeling that dreaded “super-high.” You get severe munchies, extreme sleepiness, or maybe even delusions. But this doesn't have to happen if you know how to dose marijuana edibles properly.
Check out these easy steps to learn how to dose marijuana edibles to make sure having a positive, fun experience.
What is Cannabis?
Cannabis is lovingly called many different names like weed, pot, grass, dope, marijuana, and reefer. With the scientific term being “cannabis”.
By now you should know about cannabinoids and the most popular cannabinoids - THC and CBD.
What is THC and how does THC react in the body?
THC is the main psychoactive compound in cannabis that produces the “high” sensation. Briefly, THC stimulates the part of your brain that responds to pleasure like, food and sex. This brain response unleashes a chemical called dopamine, which gives you a euphoric, relaxed feeling. For some consumers, this “high” feeling can heighten your senses making colors appear brighter and noises sound louder.
What is CBD?
CBD is different from THC as it does not produce the “high" feeling. Commonly, people have used CBD-only products to treat common diseases such as Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, Schizophrenia, Diabetes, and even anxiety. The FDA has even approved several CBD-only products. Though CBD can provide relief, consuming CBD and THC products isn't necessarily a cure for these diseases but a solution to treat symptoms.
Raw cannabis contains a small amount of of components that make people feel “high.” It’s the addition of heat from burning, vaping, or cooking raw cannabis that activates the THC and CBD compounds. The absorption time for each method will be different:
- Edibles - It will take 30 minutes to 2 hours to start feeling the effects of CBD and THC.
- Smoking or Vaping - It will only take 2-10 minutes for someone to feel the effects of THC and CBD.
Expert steps for how to dose marijuana edibles
Taking into consideration how THC and CBD is absorbed, it's important that anyone consuming edibles follows these easy steps. Making sure they have a safe and effective experience with cannabis:
- Make sure you are in a safe/calm environment - We suggest ingesting the edibles in a familiar and safe environment. Surround yourself with things that keep you calm like a TV show and/or a book.
- Start small and build up if needed - Each person is different and THC will absorb differently for each consumer. Start with a smaller dose and wait 20-30 minutes before ingesting any more. This will lessen the chances you might feel too "high."
- Take into account your weight/height/experience level - Your height and weight will factor into the digestion process and affect consumers at different times. It is known that more novice and smaller consumers have a greater chance of getting "high" with less amount of THC and CBD.
- Consume products that are transparent about the ingredients - You should consume products that have explicitly detailed the THC and CBD amount. That way you know what you are consuming and safely ingest edibles. Luckily, we have several edible products in our store that will provide desired results and detail exactly what is contained in each product. Check out our products here.
- If you're into smoking a new to edibles, try eating 5-10mg then immediately smoke some cannabis. This way, you'll feel the effects of the cannabis immediately and won't be waiting for the edibles to kick in. Then, once the feeling from smoking starts to dwindle, the properly dosed edible will kick in and keep you feeling good for longer.
Using these recommendations will allow you, to have a wonderful experience with edibles keeping you relaxed and healthy.